.

Istikhara Dua and Method

Istikhara is an act of asking help of Allah swt in the matters of decision making. Just like we consult our elders and wise people when a decision is to be made, we should ask Allah swt about it before making a final decision. When we involve Allah swt in our matters, we get a sure guarantee of positivity and goodness in them. Prophet Muhammad pbuh used to tell sahab r.a. to do istikhara in all matters. How should it be done is going to be discussed later in the article, first we will look at how even istikhara has been molded into something it never was.


It has been become a trend in last decade that these are people available to “do” istikhara on “your behalf”. And there istikhara takes only a few seconds before the tell you what you should do and what not. An important question here is, how can anyone but us be more concerned and want a correct opinion and guidance with all our heart? Secondly, how can an act of worship be only of a few seconds. Third, why would one make you make your personal life matters public? These are the questions which need to be pondered upon. There are a few tv channels and a few people in disguise of scholars in subcontinent who are experts of telling lies in the name of religion.

This quick istikhara is also their made. They do not only tell lies but they use magic to answer the questions. While many people might never agree with that, but it is the wide use of magic which has made people enable to do this kind of tricks. Secondly, some tv channels host full programs on daily and weekly basis for this kind of stuff. This is totally shirk and biddah because none of this was ever part of islam and this kind of tricks are not possible without taking help from satan.

Now coming back to istikhara, prophet Muhammad pbuh said:
‘If any one of you is concerned about a decision he has to make, then let him pray two rak’ahs of non-obligatory prayer, then say:  O Allah, I seek Your guidance [in making a choice] by virtue of Your knowledge, and I seek ability by virtue of Your power, and I ask You of Your great bounty. You have power, I have none. And You know, I know not. You are the Knower of hidden things. O Allaah, if in Your knowledge, this matter (then it should be mentioned by name) is good for me both in this world and in the Hereafter (or: in my religion, my livelihood and my affairs), then ordain it for me, make it easy for me, and bless it for me. And if in Your knowledge it is bad for me and for my religion, my livelihood and my affairs (or: for me both in this world and the next), then turn me away from it, [and turn it away from me], and ordain for me the good wherever it may be and make me pleased with it.”
al-Bukhaari, 6841

Thus, the correct way of doing istikhara is to do it yourself, because it is your matter and it is you who want an opinion. Why would you ask someone other than Allah swt about your issues? Then there are other myths and man made things associated with istikhara. People think that istikhara cannot be done at any other time but after isha salat. And they believe that soon after praying salat of istikhara, the person should sleep. And in his dream Allah swt will guide him what to do and what not. So, mostly decisions are solely based on dreams. Now one might see a bad dream and take his decision without knowing that bad dreams come from satan. Allah swt is the source of all the goodness. How can something bad come from him at all?

The reason of doing istikhara in islam is not to know about future. But it is an act of worship which brings a man closer to his Lord. Through ibadah, we feel secure, and near to Allah swt. This noble verse explains how the relationship of Allah swt and his man should be. This is the dua of prophet Yaqub a.s which he made when he lost his son, prophet yusuf a.s. This verse tells us that no matter whoever we are, we are to ask Allah swt and no other. And we should really look forward to see the positive no negativity.
 "I only complain of my suffering and my grief to Allah , and I know from Allah what you know not." (12:86). 
Previous
Next Post »